The federal definition for chronic absenteeism applies when any student has missed 15 days of school for any reason during one school year.
The state of California defines chronic absenteeism differently. Any student who has been absent for at least ten percent (10%) of the school days in one school year, from the date of enrollment to the current date, is considered a chronic absentee.
Excessive Excused Absences
According to the SUHSD policy Regulation code AR 5113 (D, E), it has been established that it is reasonable to be absent 1 day a month (equivalent to 7 days per semester or 14 days in a school year). Having more than 14 days of excused absences may result in your child being placed on an Excessive Excused Absence Contract.
To participate in school activities, Mar Vista High students sign a Choices Contract in agreement with its terms. Students who violate the terms of this contract are placed on the Choices List and may be barred from certain activities.
The following attendance violations place students on the Choices List:
- Accumulating more than 10 unexcused tardies.
- Having 6 or more unexcused full-day absences.
- Having 7 or more excused full-day absences.
- A combination of 10 or more full-day absences, both excused and unexcused ones.
- Accumulating 36 or more period absences.
Any student may be deemed a chronic truant if the student was absent from school without a valid excuse for at least ten percent (10%) of the school days in one school year, from the date of enrollment to the current date.
Repairing Excessive Absences
Fortunately, students can begin repairing their attendance records and avoid attendance issues by doing the following (in order of importance):
- Keep absences to a bare minimum. Most absences should be for illness.
Attend school regularly and on time.
Attend all classes and stay the entire day.
Use Saturday School to clear absences from the attendance record.
- Absences cleared in Saturday School do not count as absences on the student’s attendance records.
- Clearing absences on Saturdays reduces absence totals of individual students.
- Saturday School cleared absences count as days present in school for individual students’ attendance rates.
Please direct questions regarding excessive absences and Saturday School to the MVH Attendance Coordinator at (619) 628-5864.