Mar Vista is located in Imperial Beach, California, the “most southwesterly city in the Continental United States,” which occupies just over four square miles. It is bordered by the Tijuana Estuary National Wildlife Refuge to the south and the Pacific Ocean on the west. The San Diego Bay and the Silver Strand to Coronado lie to the north, and, just before reaching Interstate 5 to the east, one moves through a small section of South San Diego. Mar Vista High School’s student population is drawn from both Imperial Beach and South San Diego.
MVH Mission Statement
Mar Vista High School: We’re here for each other. A coastal community honoring equity, integrity, and hard work where we learn to love and love to learn.
In accordance to our mission, we will prepare students to face an array of post-graduation choices through systems of learning distinguished by:
- Communication and collaboration
- Meaningful engagement in standards-based curriculum and instruction
- A comprehensive, embedded network of student support
- A safe and secure environment for all students
- Development of critical thinking and academic literacy
- Access to current technology and training in its effective use
- A focus on individualized goal setting and reflective planning
- Increasing global and environmental stewardship
- Community and familial partnerships
On a typical day at Mar Vista High you will see our Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (NJROTC) training for their next competition. Students in our Poseidon Academy of Marine Science and Engineering are solving problems at our beach and estuary. If you are lucky, you will witness our amazing Ballet Folklorico classes celebrating their culture through dance. After school, our student-athletes dominate in the pool, gym and on the field.
The story of any school is essentially the story of its students. Mar Vista students are involved in many different activities, from athletics, to clubs, to academic programs. The key to success at MVH is getting involved!